“Your false self is your asleep. the soul is your awakening” –
The works of OSHO challenge readers to examine and break free of the conditioning, belief systems, and prejudices that limit their capacity to express life in all it’s richness. The author has been described by the Sunday Times of London as one of the “1000 makers of the 20th Century” and by American novelist Tom Robbins as “the most dangerous man since Jesus Christ.”
I can see why some people might find his works leaving a sour taste in the mouth…It has that kind of effect on things. Sure there where a few conversational pieces that seemed wild and outrageous, but I’ll give you the honour of figuring those out for yourself. The main thread of the book (all politics aside) was amazing to read.
Everyone goes about their lives like ants (Have you seen the ants video yet?) bumping up against the world praying for an adventure … a life …. and freedom. But they have never gone on to define what that freedom really is. OSHO brings it down to two distinct things.
- Freedom FROM : Just like the ants, you feel trapped in a way of being and you’re secretly begging you had the courage to take the red pill. All you’re doing is reacting to what is. You’re in one of two modes. Either you’re just going to complain about how the sky might fall or you’re trying to solve the problem. However your focus is still the problem. You’re still using it as a measuring tool.
- Freedom TO : You’ve taken the red pill and you’re jumping down the rabbit hole only to find a slick white canvas on the other side. A space of nothingness. A fresh start. A chance to be true to the ultimate you. A space to create.
Freedom from means staying the same. Sure you might be tweaking the occasional bits and covering the walls in indigo wallpaper … but it’s still the same stuff in another wrapping. How will you ever be able to gauge freedom from say poverty, if you don’t hold onto poverty. You’ll earn a couple bucks, reach into your pocket, unwrap poverty and relive that experience and then contrast it to where you’re at now. You might have 3 million in your bank account, but you’re still carrying poverty around with you – all wrapped up in matching shades.
Another pivotal question is what’s next. So you get your millions, you get your freedom and then what are you going to do with it? You’re still in limbo expect this time it comes with a penthouse view.
Then there’s a lot of button pushing, comfort zone smashing, and slaps on the wrists.
Deal with it.
He’s just poking to see if you’re really awake.
“With me, illusions are bound to be shattered. I am here to shatter all illusions. Yes, it will irritate you, it will annoy you – that’s my way of functioning and working. I will sabotage you from your very roots! Unless you are totally destroyed as a mind, there is no hope for you.”
One thing: you have to walk, and create the way by your walking; you will not find a ready-made path. It is not so cheap, to reach to the ultimate realization of truth. You will have to create the path by walking yourself; the path is not ready-made, lying there and waiting for you. It is just like the sky: the birds fly, but they don’t leave any footprints. You cannot follow them; there are no footprints left behind.
If you’re ready to give up everything you have ever come to see as you then and only then can you be free. I believe that completely. In fact I’m living it. I’ve given up everything and discovered myself … and she’s a gem and together we glow. I’m honoured to connect with my true and authentic self …and I’m blessed to pass that onto you through coaching …
- Spiritual Sunday #48: Osho on Courage (shootfromthehip.wordpress.com)
- Embracing the Magic of Surrender (beinginlife.wordpress.com)
- Look Into My Eyes (samharris.org)
- How can I know If Detachment or Indifference is Growing within? (aphroditesmusings.wordpress.com)